2023 Prom Preview

Colors:

Inspired by one of the most iconic movies of the year, a popular color for this year’s prom will almost certainly be a bright Barbie pink. This color provides a bold, yet adaptable look since it compliments all skin tones and looks amazing paired with both silver and gold jewelry. Barbie isn’t the only baddie bringing pink back to the people- Princess Peach is arguably just as iconic AND influential. #1 baddie– sorry Barbie girl!! Her influence will likely manifest in light pink ball gowns and sparkly tiaras. 

Bringing back trends from the 2000’s and 1990’s, sequins and feathers are also expected to make an appearance. A well known rule in the fashion world is the 20 year rule, which states that trends will make constant reappearances every 20 years. The 20 year time period encompasses the time it takes for a trend to emerge, to die (when everyone hates it), and to be reborn with a modern twist. This rule was in play when mom jeans made a comeback a few years ago. These Y2K accents will pair great with the masquerade theme for this year, which is known for its mysterious vibe. Another dead trend set to make a reappearance are chokers, rebranded as mini or baby necklaces. 

Sticking with the dark theme, darker colors like navy blue and maroon will be appearing quite frequently in this year’s prom dress lineup. These colors will also look great on the guys in the form of suits. 

Styles:

Another style that has been gaining popularity is flowy dresses. This style often features elegant, sheer sleeves and a longer length skirt. Flowy dresses are a great choice for people who dislike the tight restrictive feel of body-con dresses, as they allow more movement while still looking stunning. 

Sheer sleeves and mesh fabric aren’t exclusive to feminine dresses, they can also be seen in tuxedo tops with a more gender-neutral twist. This type of top was seen recently on male fashion icon Harry Styles during his most recent tour and on multiple red carpet shows. 

For those of you who want to opt out of the traditional long A-line prom dress, there are luckily many options for shorter dresses that still maintain the elegant vibe of high school prom. Choosing a shorter dress has many benefits, as they are usually more affordable, and – like the flowy dresses – can also allow for more freedom for dancing without worrying about your skirt getting stepped on. 

A great program that has been offered by Fairfax County Public Schools in the past is the Centerville “Prom Dress Shop”. Students who don’t have the financial availability to purchase a prom dress this year are able to select a dress donated from Macy’s. The dates that the shop is open are: Friday, May 5, 4-7 p.m., Saturday, May 6, 2-5 p.m., and Sunday, May 7, 1-4 p.m. “The Prom Dress Shop is located near door 12 in the modular classroom building near the stadium in the student parking lot of Centreville High School.”